15 Apr Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is the largest urban sculpture garden in the country. Located near the Walker Art Center, the garden has 40 permanent art installations as well as a number of other pieces that change throughout the year. Covering 11 acres in beautiful Minneapolis, the garden is close to both Loring Park and the Basilica of Saint Mary. It opened to the public in 1988, and was expanded in 1992 by an addition three and a half acres.
The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden was designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes, who also designed the Walker Art Center. The expansion in 1992 was due to the garden’s great success, making it the largest of its kind in the country. The land where the garden sits has been used for a public garden since 1913, though the names and its uses have changed over the years. Thanks to a grant from the McKnight Foundation, the project for the Sculpture Garden was able to take shape.
What You’ll Find
The centerpiece of the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is Spoonbridge and Cherry, made by husband and wife artists Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. This sculpture is a Minneapolis icon, and serves as a focal point for the garden. The Alene Grossman Memorial Arbor spans the Northern border of the garden, and features colorful flowers and vines covering the 300-foot arbor. Due to a major construction project, the garden will be closing in early spring of 2016 for renovations and updates. Many of the sculptures have been put into storage, waiting for the project to be completed to reemerge.
This article is part of Santa Rita Landscaping’s ongoing blog series, The Most Spectacular Gardens in the World.
Image from https://www.flickr.com/photos/minneapolisorg/2537359756